On March 1st 1935 Maurice Markovitz bought the present Commercial Road premises, from Tideswell and Millers Dale Coal and General Merchants Company Ltd for £1,200, which meant that he was then able to branch out into supplying building materials.
Maurice never married. His nephew Brian joined him at Commercial Road in 1953 further developing the business. In 1995 Brian re-located to larger premises on Richard Lane in Tideswell and the Commercial Road premises were converted into 'The Courtyard'; a luxury kitchen, bedroom and bathroom showroom.
Since then, Brian's two sons David and Robert have taken over the business, and further developed it to now include seven builders' & plumbers' merchants, three civils branches, three insulation & drylining a depots and the kitchen and bathroom showroom in Chesterfield.
From humble beginnings the company now employs around 250 people. Markovitz prides itself in remaining a family run business, which we are sure Maurice would be proud of.
The Markovitz family of companies encompasses our depots, our two luxury kitchen and bathroom showrooms, our specialist Stove & Cooker Showroom at our Leek branch and our Stove Showroom at our Buxton depot. We also have our very own restaurant, 2 AA-Rosette awarded 'The Merchant's Yard' in Tideswell.
For more information on each of these please click below.